Thursday, March 12, 2009

Adriel Herrera



The name probably doesn't ring any bells for the average Idol fan, but after his audition, Simon labeled him as the one to beat: "If I could choose anyone we’ve seen in this competition, he’s the one ... I promise you." Well, he had a competent semi-final performance, but didn't make it through. He was invited to participate in the Wild Card episode, but turned it down, as he felt that the show didn't give him the artistic freedom he needed. I can only guess, but I am pretty sure had he turned in a decent performance he would have been sent to the finals. Oh well. Hopefully he is at peace with his decision. Idol was definitely cheesy in the earlier seasons, but the past few seasons have seemed to allow the contestants a bit more creative license; Blake Lewis and David Cook in particular have shown that you don't have to sing a generic Motown song or "Against All Odds" (God forbid) every week.

After the show, he was briefly in the band Asphalt Apology from 2003-2005. I'm not sure what he's up to at the moment. If you know (or if you are Adriel!) please drop me a line.


photo credit: Jose Raul Castillo (photo circa 2007-ish)

sources:
http://www.joseraulcastillo.com/surviving-the-fame-machine/
http://www.myspace.com/asphaltapology

2 comments:

  1. My friend's friend knows Adriel and I heard Adriel blew Asphalt Apology's label interest by not compromising in the studio over lyrics and vocal suggestions. He then moved to Austin and hasn't done much musically...It''s too bad. He and his band had promise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting...thanks for the info. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for news about him, but like you say he seems to be keeping a low profile for now.

    ReplyDelete