Sunday, March 15, 2009

Brad Estrin



The most memorable aspect of Brad Estrin's short stint on American Idol was not his performance, but Simon's critique of his singing as "Chilean karaoke". Seven years and one college degree later, I can't say that I'm quite sure what he meant by it, but it certainly helped Simon solidify his position as the "mean British guy". I feel for many of the contestants whose brief time in the limelight was overtaken by the judges attempting to get some zings in.

Brad lists his current occupation as "Social marketing/event planner...[part-time] singing ninja". He also gave a dishy interview to the East Bay Express shortly after his time on Idol. Some choice quotes:
"There were a lot of phonies in the top thirty," says Estrin. "There was a lot of backstabbing going on." Example? "There was a girl in my group," he confides. "She came up to me about a half-hour before I was to perform and said, 'Oh my God! Did you know that the show's not going to air in your hometown?' It had been preempted by a Giants game. I'm like, 'Yeah ... ?' And she goes, 'Well, maybe that's better because I know you've been struggling with the song all week, and so your family's not going to see it, which'll be a good thing.'"
re: Simon's barb:
"Honestly? It did hurt me, because I'm human. I don't have a lot of respect for Simon in that aspect. Anybody can sit up there and throw out a cheap insult. It's not hard. It takes a bigger man to give somebody constructive criticism."

No comments:

Post a Comment